New Delhi. Spanish tennis legend Rafael Nadal has announced the end of the 2021 season due to a foot injury. This means that Nadal will not play in the US Open again. The injury forced the 20-time Grand Slam winner out of the Cincinnati Masters and Canadian Open last week.
Defending champion Dominic Thiem and five-time winner Roger Federer have also withdrawn from this year’s US Open. Nadal, 35, shared a video on Instagram. “Honestly, I’ve been very upset with my leg injury for a year and I need some time off,” he said.
Also Watch: RJ Asks Neeraj Chopra for ‘Zhappi’ Then Says – Namaste From Far Away Video
He further said, ‘This decision has been taken after discussing with the team and the family. I believe that’s what trying to recover from an injury and stay in good shape is all about. For now, I’m ready to better myself. I believe that foot injuries can be cured with a lot of effort. I will try my best to heal the injury completely.
The four-time US Open champion also missed Wimbledon and the Olympic Games to rest after the clay-court season. He was injured during the French Open in June, where he failed to defend his title for the first time since 2016, losing to Novak Djokovic in the semifinals.
Tag: Rafael Nadal, game news, tennis, US Open
First Published: August 20, 2021, 16:56 IST