A man of Indian descent has been sentenced to more than six years in prison for hiding a shotgun in his family home in London. Pabandeep Sandhu was sentenced at Snaresbrook Crown Court in East London on Monday after a banned firearm was discovered in a drawer under a cupboard in his home. The 21-year-old was sentenced to six years in prison for one count for possessing a prohibited firearm and an additional three months for serving consecutively for a previously suspended sentence for possessing a knife. “The Met [Metropolitan Police] Glenn Butler, a detective inspector at the Met Police Specialist Crime Command, said he was always working to remove deadly weapons, including guns and knives, from the streets of London, to remove them from the hands of people dangerous to our community.
I am incredibly satisfied that another deadly firearm has been removed from circulation and the sentence reflects the seriousness of Sandhu’s actions. “Those who carry weapons and try to hide have no doubt that we will use every means at our disposal to protect our community and keep serious violence behind bars,” he said. In Kings Park, he and two men searched for weapons after fleeing from police. A search turned up 492 GB of cash, an iPhone 8, a car key and other personal belongings.
A knife and two lock knives have been dumped in the park area where they were seen earlier. Later that day, officers executed a search warrant at Sandhu’s family home. A search of his bedroom turned up a single-barrel, 12-bore folding shotgun, which was shortened to barrels and stock. This sun-off shotgun was tested using a 12-bore shotgun cartridge, including one found at Sandur’s home address, and was found to be effective and capable of causing fatal injuries.
A black carrier bag containing 37 shotgun cartridges, suitable for use with live and saw-off shotguns, was also recovered, as well as a sock with 13 shotgun cartridges in a jacket pocket and 11 more cartridges. Officers also found two samurai swords, a metal safe with cash bundles (UK and foreign currency), a cardboard box of empty ammunition, a skeleton-type mask, a black body armor vest, black gloves and a lock knife.
In the interview, Sandhu claimed that these things were only with him for two to three weeks and that it was done at the behest of an unknown person. However, an extensive search of his mobile phone records has disputed Sandhu’s claim, and he has confirmed that he is the only person to use the device. A video on his mobile phone, dated March 2020, shows Sandhu and what appears to be the same saw-off shotgun. It undermined his claim that it had only been in his possession for a few weeks and had attached him to the weapon.
On July 1, Sandhu was charged with possession of a small shotgun and was convicted at a hearing in Snaresbrook Crown Court on August 13 and sentenced this week.
Read all the latest news, breaking news and coronavirus news here.